July 24th is Pioneer Day in Utah, a state holiday that celebrates pioneer heritage with parades, fireworks, barbecues, and picnics. So here in the Beehive State, we get a bonus July 4th!
Sadly, we missed the Hinckley town parade that morning, but we were there for the rest of the days events. This has been the year of the missed parades. But never again! Next year, my kids will attend as many parades as possible.
We were in the tiny town of Hinckley, Utah for a family reunion on Chad's side. This family, full of pioneer ancestry, made it the perfect way to spend the holiday.
Chad's grandmother, his father Jack's mother, Arlene Bishop Hecker, grew up in this town. She passed away early this year, and I miss her. Arlene always made me laugh with her candid talk and snappy humor. I loved listening to her childhood stories, so being in the very town where they all took place was enchanting!
One brother and 4 of her sisters were there (pictured above): Dot, Clare, Louise, Janice, and Sylvia. I love hearing them talk about their lives growing up together. They all share Arlene's wittiness and funny story-telling ways.
The organization, and well-planned events were impressive. Family history is well-documented and honored in this family. I love it because I get to hear stories to pass on to my children about some of their ancestors. It's good to know where your roots lie.
Chad's parents, Jack and Nancy, flew out for the reunion and we had a very relaxed weekend.
Here are some of my favorite moments:
(I sure hope I get names, places, and stories right. Please let me know if there needs to be a correction!)
Sydney and her doll Ashlea (I'm so pleased that she hasn't outgrown this yet), and Jack's backward pants. At least he is finally dressing himself.
The first event was the parade, sigh, and then it was lunch at the
city park where local teens mimicked their favorite pop stars on the
outdoor stage.
There was one performance I really loved. A father and daughter sang
Shenandoah, with mom at the guitar. It was beautiful, folksy, and sooo
sweet!
It was so exciting to be in a small town!
I particularly enjoyed the elderly stranger in the fishing hat, who approached Chad and I while we waited in line for the food. Leaning in, a little too close, he said, They've got those chicken fingers! He revealed it quietly like it was a big secret. We were amused by his enthusiasm for chicken.
Chad noticed this...a Street Dance, after the rodeo, that was
gonna have "Pop and Treats"!
How cute is that!?
Remember these merry-go-rounds!?! You don't see them at parks anymore.
I wonder why. They were the best!
Jack loooooooved it!
Papa Jack on the teeter totter was funny!
She's growing up fast but still needs daddy's help down the slide.
I'm clinging to these last few baby moments.
We took a guided tour through the town to see family historical spots.
This is the house Arlene's father Heber Bishop was born in (I think).
The old high school that the Bishop kids attended. Heber
Bishop played basketball here.
The Bishop family home, where mom and dad, Vera and Heber, and
10 kids slept, including Chad's grandmother Arlene. There were only
two bedrooms so the boys slept outside whenever weather permitted,
which was mostly in the summer.
The present homeowners of over 30 years, invited
everyone inside to walk through the home to relive old memories.
I couldn't believe the generosity. Such an open and kind thing to do,
letting a bunch of strangers into your home, where you've over 30
years of your own memories. Many times I've driven past my old family
homes and wished I could walk through them.
Allie playing on her great-great grandmother's
old front porch.
And the porch where I imagine her great-grandmother Arlene
must have played, as well as her Papa Jack.
The backyard was a kid's dream. Tractors, wagons, playhouses,
and a retro swing set straight out of the 70's that I remember well.
Chad's great-uncle Clare telling family stories
at the home of an old childhood friend.
Everyone listening intently.
I wonder if Jack will ever stand before a crowd of family
members telling stories of his parents, grandparents, and great-
grandparents.
Sylvia's endearing words about her childhood home and
appreciation for this painting of it, by a family artist.
(I think his name is Gerald, and he is a cousin of the Bishop
clan?)
I could sense the deep love Sylvia has for this little house.
The way it looked back then.
The home was much smaller than the amount of love it received.
I see, it's not the size of a home that matters.
Allie became a big fan of this nice boy. She spotted him through the
crowd, everywhere we went. Then she'd climb onto his lap and throw
her entourage of toys at him!
His mom told me he loves kids. Allie noticed. What a great daddy
he'll be! I never even asked his name or figured out whose family
he belonged to. How rude! If anyone knows who he is, please
let me know so I can send him a thank you note!
A double porch swing! The cutest ever!
Hopefully I'll have one like it someday. I let the kids rock
for a spell before moving on the next event.
A gathering at the Hinckley Cemetary with special guests
Heber and Vera Bishop.
Jannett and M.M. Bishop are buried here. They are the parents of Heber Bishop, I believe.
M's name is something like Moriantemer. (I know I really botched the
spelling!) Jannett Bishop's namesake, Jannett (?) read from her great-grandmother's diary. Another family member told the story of M.M. Then one of Chad's second cousins, I think, told Vera's story and Heber was presented by Clare Bishop.
My favorite story was the one about how Vera and Heber met. She went with some friends to a baseball game. Heber hit a home run, but while running through the bases he caught a glimpse of the pretty Vera in the crowd, making him freeze on third, where their eyes locked...and the rest is history!
Rodeo Queens at the Hinckley Rodeo!
The day after the reunion, Mema and Papa bought this fun
water and sand table for Allie and Jack's birthdays, and set
it up for them in the backyard.
They love it, and I'm sure it will keep them entertained for
hours and hours!
Thank you Mema and Papa! We had a fun weekend with you!




11 comments:
How sweet Deann, I want to take Julia to that park. Why dont they have those Merry-go-rounds and more. I too adore the double porch swing. What a great weekend. You got some great pictures!
It looks like you guys had a fun time! Well how were the chicken fingers? lol It looks like the kids had a lot of fun with that little table! It's adorable. The merry go rounds are very dangerous. We had those back east and the kids can get stuck underneath of them. You have to be really careful. And don't you remember how hot the metal was in the sun? OUCH! Who is Allie holding is that Ron or Rucilla? And Jack is hilarious with his pants on backwards! Classic. Sydney is so cute that she still carries around her babies....you might be lucky and she'll be 11 like MacKenzie and still carry them around the house playing tea parties!~
What a fun weekend! I love small towns! I'm glad you are back too!
So that's why Allie's not happy on the merry-go-round! Her bum was probably hot! Aw! I might have to delete that picture now. That's sad!
I was wondering where you've been! What a fun trip. I love small towns and learning about " the good old times!" Glad your back!
How fun. I love learning about family heritage. It actually makes you feel apart of something so much bigger than your own little family. Sorry you missed the parade, but that park I am sure made up for it. Those old park toys are soooo awesome. I wish they would bring them back. Who cares about safety.
How awesome! Where is Hinkley? You all used to love when Dad put you on that merry go round thingy. I can imagine how much the kids loved it. What fun memories. You are a wonderfuly story teller too! Allie looks just like you.
sounds fun. I will look forward to those holidays next year because they are so much better in utah!
does sydney go to morning or afternoon kindergarten? i am registering anzlie so I was just wondering. what are you doing about transportation. just want to be informed. I will be back soon!
How neat to spend the weekend learning about the hecker family heritage. I love history and being able to walk through actual old places and it makes it even more special when its your family. I bet you had so much fun! Jack's hair in the pictures with the sand and water table remind me SOOO much of Gregory's hair when he was Jack's age!
That is so cool that you got to spend the weekend with family and learning lots of stories to share-- I looooove doing that!! Love all the pictures you got and shared. Almost every park in Cody has a merry-go-round and my kids love them, although, they scare the heck out of me!! I have to watch them closely. Cody is probably a little behind on any safety precautions-- or their trying to raise them rough and tough?!!:) Glad you had a fun weekend.
Thanks for sharing so much about the reunion I missed. I really enjoyed reading all about it. You are so awesome!
Post a Comment