Thursday, April 17, 2008

Television: What is it doing to their little brains?


My kids watching Gumby.



So I've been hearing buzz about t.v. watching. Not so good for kids, supposedly. I didn't know t.v. watching under the age of 3 causes ADHD! Too late now! There are many parents who don't have t.v.'s in their home at all. But I've decided to take a more moderate approach because really, imagine life without Scooby Doo, Silver Spoons, The Facts of Life, Little House on the Prairie, The Smurfs? Small Wonder, Mr. Belvedere, Our House, Eight Is Enough, Richy Rich, The Cosby Show, Road Runner, He-Man and She-Ra, Dungeons and Dragons, David and Goliath, Electric Company, New Zoo Revue, Romper Room, Mister Rogers, Tom and Jerry, The Little's, Kids Incorporated, Land of the Lost, The Partridge Family, THE BRADY BUNCH, GROWING PAINS, and Diff'rent Strokes? Happy Days, Charles In Charge, I Love Lucy, What's Happening (ROG, DEE, and SHIRL with the pick in her hair), Alice, Kate and Allie, Remington Steele, Hunter, 90210. Oh, 21 Jump Street, Leave it to Beaver, Mama's Family, and Family Feud! V, The A-Team, Wonder Woman, Who's The Boss, Webster, The Munsters, My Two Dads, Laverne and Shirley, Solid Gold, That's Incredible, The Incredible Hulk, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, American Top 40 with Casey Kasum, Bosom Buddies, The Golden Girls, The Gong Show, Let's Make A Deal, Jem!, Alf, Family Ties, Greatest American Hero, The Love Boat, Miami Vice, Mork & Mindy, The Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPS, Benson, Fame, After School Specials, Knight Rider, Gimme A Break, Wonderful World of Disney, Square Pegs, Highway to Heaven, Married With Children, Punky Brewster, A Different World, Duck Tales, The Flintstones, Felix the Cat, Mighty Mouse, Herself the Elf, Inspector Gadget, Fat Albert, The Muppets, Care Bears, Dance Fever, Press Your Luck, PeeWee's Playhouse, Empty Nest, Out of This World, Rags to Riches, The Great Space Coaster, Pippi Longstocking.

And all those made for t.v. movies.
The Girl Who Spelled Freedom(made me feel like I could do anything), Nadia (a perfect 10! Now I know all about Romania), The Jazz Singer (explains my love for Neil Diamond), Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story(the start of my obsessive collecting of every Carpenters album ever), Side By Side: The True Story of the Osmond Family (I still know every song, every scene by heart, LOVE it), Alex: The Life of a Child (the one about Cystic Fibrosis-probably when I first realized children can suffer).

7 comments:

G. S. Funston said...

One hour a week?? One day a month?? That's nothing! They'll have no pop culture. They need as much as you had.

Stacy said...

I'll be the first to admit, I'm HORRIBLE about limiting TV time. It may be too early to tell for Jackson, but Kennedy definitely does not have ADHD, and it has not hindered her learning at all. The one thing I do try to do though is make sure they are watching educational programing as much as possible. But yes, they do watch the mindless stuff occasionally too. But even with that, Kennedy still learns new conversational phrases from those shows. I can't tell you how many times she has said something to me like, "Spill your guts, Mom" and I've said, "Where did you learn that saying?" And her answer is "TV" Now, I'm not proud or bragging about that, at times it's embarrassing, but my point is she is still getting something out of it, it isn't always pointless.

Jennifer said...

LOL I love that picture! They must not be enjoying gumby that much! And what channel do they play that still? Hannah watches WAY TOO MUCH T.V. I know she does. She has started quoting shows and movies she watches. The other day we were in the car and all of a sudden she said, "You are a TOY!" (toy story) And I don't know if it is from all the t.v. watching or not but I think she quite possibly does have ADHD, she is CRAZY! right now as I type this she is watching finding nemo and has been running around the room in circles for 5 minutes straight and running into the furniture.....I can't wait for you to come tomorrow!

Jennifer said...

oh and how long did it take for you to remember all of those t.v. shows?

Dee said...

We checked out Gumby from the library. I was remembering shows all night long! I originally had 1/4 of that, and then I kept remembering and even cheated and found more online.
The funny thing is, I really watched all those shows. I thought, WOW I did watch ALOT of t.v.!
I found clips on you tube of New Zoo Revue, Great Space Coaster, and Solid Gold! Do you remember those or were you too young for those?
See, Kennedy and Hannah are examples of kids who I think have had their personalities enhanced by t.v. So in moderation I think it can be a very good thing!

Julie said...

Every thing in moderation. Somedays I am so grateful for the hundreds of choices that are on t.v. for the kids. It is a lifesaver. Other days I would like to throw the t.v. out the window. Don't stress too much about it. It is what it is. You are a great mom. And your kids will turn out great too!

Anonymous said...

So funny! How did you remember all of those shows! David and Goliath was a blast from the past. I can still hear the music in my head. Doo,Doo, Doo,Doo, doo. Remember? However, I think we watched way too much T.V!! In fact, I think I have ADD because of it. I was a space in class and never knew what was going on!