Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jack's Whoppers

Today was a perfect example.

Chad has Twizzlers left over from his Superbowl party, in the cookie jar, and they have been torturing Jack all day. I told him after lunch he can have one and made a mental note to remember to throw them away after that.

So for lunch I reheated the pizza the kids ate for dinner last night with the babysitter. Before my first bite of pizza, Jack said he was done and asked for his licorice. I glanced at the table to find his plate missing and then the kitchen sink...with a 3/4 slice of pizza thrown into it.

Jack, I just saw the pizza you did not eat, in the sink.

Here's the first whopper:

Well, mommy it had apple juice on it.

Sorry Jack, but since you didn't eat your lunch, you cannot have a piece of licorice.

Surprisingly, there was only one foot stomp and a Mom!

Then we're in the car on the way to take Sydney to school and he asked for a piece of my raspberry mint gum.

Jack, you have to eat your lunch to get a piece of gum too.

But mommy, gum has healthy berries in it.

Then we go back to the licorice and whopper #2:

Mommy, a ghost flipped over my pizza.

Sydney yells that Jack is telling stories, and I wonder if this relentless fibbing is normal.

But we did have a long chat, me and Jack, about how brave boys are honest even when the truth is hard to say.

So he admitted to throwing his pizza in the sink.

But still, I don't think he'll get any licorice. Is that too mean?


Jack telling stories at Sydney's birthday party.

6 comments:

Megan said...

oh my goodness! That is so funny Deann! i think you did the right thing...you were going to reward him but he didn't follow your direction. Next time he will know to eat his lunch!

But then again, this is coming from someone that doesn't have cute kids looking at me, telling me funny stories!! Even if they are "whoopers!"

Kimmy said...

Deann that's so Jack Jack! I love it! I wonder why he wanted to throw the pizza in the sink? Was he that excited to get his licorice? I think he is so creative! i love his ghost fib! Ingenious! Well Maybe MOTHER you should have just given him a licorice for doing a "happy helper" chore! Not after he ate lunch! But then again, Jack L.O.V.E.S. to eat food! I don't know Deann! That's a knee slapper!

Unknown said...

Too, cute. The things kids come up with, its too funny.

G. S. Funston said...

Ha! He kills me. It's SO good you're serious about honesty. I'll never forget my mom always saying, "There are two things you can never do- lie or steal." And it had always resonated with me. I seriously can't lie about even the most minor things. Seems pretty basic, but a lot flows from these two things- respect for others, respect for honesty, respect for hard-earned money, having morals, standing behind what you say and do . . .

Anonymous said...

Well, at Nana's house he would have had his licorice of course, just for making me laugh! It's hard to be the mean mommie, isn't it? Oh, how I love hearing these stories! Stick to your guns and he'll finally get it!

Jess said...

Dee - I don't know if you remember me ---I have met you a couple times---Rob's sister, Jessica. I came across your blog on Erins. Anyway I had to tell you I think your kids are so cute....how old are they? I didn't realize you had three. They keep you busy don't they? Fun to run into you thru the blog....